Friday, April 6, 2012

May your Will Be done

Today I am thinking about what was going on when Jesus rode the donkey into Jerusalem. The crowds had an agenda for Jesus. They expected him to be the leader of a revolution and I can only imagine when Jesus did not step into the role they thought He would take there was disappointment, anger, frustration, and so on. My thought when hearing about this each year is to think, but he gave his life for you. He made the ultimate sacrifice. He leads, but not in the way you had hoped he would. Then I thinkwell I guess this isn’t too far off from the way I’ve treated Him in the past.

Having a relationship with God is not about having our own personal vending machine. We are not supposed to make plans for God and yet, more often than not, I find myself trying to do that. The prayer could be, “God, I want your will to be done in this situation” whether it’s a sick friend or anxiety about at test. And even though I’ve asked God for His will, what I am not saying out loud is “and your will better be in line with how I want this situation to end.” And then when I fail the test or the sickness hasn’t passed, I wonder, “Where were you?” Why didn’t you step in? I asked for your will to be done.”

The truth of this situation is that we cannot even begin to imagine how much better God’s plan is going to be. We think we know what is best for us, but the truth is we are naïve. While it may not always seem like it, God knows what is best for us. He has an amazing plan and while it may take longer than we hoped, it is going to be amazing.
So here’s to trusting in the plan I know God has for me. It’s about time I stopped trying to be in control. It is not an easy path sometimes, but I know it is going to be so worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment